Other Areas in My Padded Cell

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Losing to Luxury Tax

I was desperate. All but one property was mortgaged, I had narrowly escaped prison and was now facing Park Place, or worse, Boardwalk, with two houses. Past Boardwalk was the promise of money that I so desperately needed. If I could just make it to Go and collect my two hundred dollars, I had a chance to survive. If I could just make it to Go, I'd still be in the game.
I rolled the dice. Picking up my game piece of choice, the trusty dog, I moved across the board and landed on . . . Luxury Tax. Close call, right? Wrong! I promptly went bankrupt because I couldn't come up with seventy-five dollars to pay my taxes, even with mortgaging my last property. So much for Baltic or Mediterranean being helpful. They can't even pay off Luxury Tax!
If you haven't guessed by now, I have been occupying a snowy week by playing Monopoly with my Mother and Brother.
I know, I know, I should be writing, but since my brother has had the past few days off due to the weather, I haven't been keeping up with my novel or blog. I realize I've been extremely naughty.
I haven't squandered all my week, since I've gone through my file cabinet and also organized my workspace by installing an old pantry/wardrobe by my desk. It's worked out better than I thought. It almost makes struggling with that insufferable contact paper I was plastering the shelves with worth it.

Last Sunday I had to help my brother bleed the brakes on his stupid. . . I mean . . . lovely, truck. We all know how much I love bleeding brakes/toning thighs!
We bled the brakes, and when we got done my brother climbed into the truck and found out that the pedal could sink all the way to the floor with the slightest amount of pressure.
Turns out, the Master Cylinder had to be replaced and, guess what, the brakes had to be bled all over again. Can we say, "Hooray!"
Believe me, I gave my brother so much trouble over that one. Probably a little too much, since he admitted that he let me pump the brakes a little longer than necessary.
At least now he can stop the truck without locking the brakes.

Well, that's pretty much it for the week. My office is now organized, and my brother can now stop his vehicle. I have also developed a personal vendetta against Luxury Tax, so I don't believe the week has been entirely wasted. I'm planning on doing catchup work on my novel tomorrow, and hopefully will have drafts of the first few chapters complete.

Until next week!

1 comment:

  1. Well written, Ana! Remind me to challenge you to a game of monopoly the next time you come over. Gram

    ReplyDelete