Other Areas in My Padded Cell

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Padded Library - Rochester vs. Heathcliff

Anyone who has a love of classic literature knows about the Bronte Sisters, especially Charlotte and Emily. Charlotte wrote Jane Eyre, while Emily . . . was clinically insane!
I came to that conclusion after reading Wuthering Heights, a book that I could hardly get through. The only reason I did was because I had to write a report on the Bronte sisters for school. I hated the book, didn't like Cathrine and. . . well, let's just face it, I wanted Heathcliff to die a slow and painful death.
So, imagine my surprise when I came across someone who said that Rochester was insane and that Heathcliff just needed medication. What?
True, Rochester was a little off at times, but he had every reason to be. I mean his father and brother tricked him into marrying a crazy woman, for crying out loud! (Oh, yeah. Spoiler Alert!)
What was Heathcliff's excuse, he was a poor boy, and then he was adopted by a rich guy? Yeah, I can hear the violins already. Let's just face it, Heathcliff was mean from the start.

Rochester was willing to let Jane go in the end, just as long as it made her happy. Heathcliff . . . we won't even go there. Marrying Cathrine's sister-in-law just to get back at her was extreme, but making his son and Cathrine's daughter marry? That's diving as far as you can go in the depths of insanity.

Overall, my view on the subject: Rochester may not be playing with a full deck, but Heathcliff is only holding one card.
Really, I'm just happy I'm not a heroine in a Gothic Romances, because I believe most of the Goth heroes are drinking out of lead goblets.

No comments:

Post a Comment